Timaru District Libraries Terms and Conditions
The following rules apply specifically to the Timaru District Libraries in terms of Timaru District Bylaw 2018 Chapter 8, and are additional to the General Rules adopted for all Council-managed Cultural & Recreational Facilities.
How to join:
- Membership of the Timaru District Libraries is free to all residents and ratepayers of the Timaru District. Those not qualifying for free membership can join for a fee.
- You can join online by completing the registration process, or you can apply when next in the Timaru, Temuka or Geraldine Library.
- You will need to supply a name, address and phone number for an alternative contact person – someone who knows you but lives at a different address.
- Completed online applications will generate a temporary membership number. Within two weeks you will need to bring this number in to your local library to receive your permanent library card.
- When collecting your permanent card, you must provide proof of identity and verification of your address in the Timaru District.
- All children or teenage applicants under 18 years of age are free to join regardless of their address and will need a parent/caregiver listed as guarantor who must accompany them when collecting their permanent card from the library. Guarantors will need to supply their contact details along with their proof of identity and proof of address.
- Please bring your library card on each visit.
- Items are issued for four weeks (except for Magazines, DVDs and PlayStation Games which are issued for 2 weeks) and may be renewed provided there are no holds on them. There is no limit to the number of items you can borrow with the exception of some limitations in the Children's Library and for Temporary Memberships.
- You can check items on loan, renew items or place a hold via the Library Catalogue online (you will need your password for this), or by phoning your Library, asking in the library, or by making contact via email.
- Email or text reminders can be set up to alert borrowers when items are due to be returned/ renewed.
Conditions of Use
- Borrowers/guarantors are responsible for all materials borrowed on the library card - please do not lend your library card to other people. They are also responsible for any charges incurred through the late return, damage or loss of an item, or any hold, debt collection or rental fees.
- You will be unable to borrow items if charges on your account total $10 or more.
- You can see a complete list of all library charges and fees on our website.
- Library users are to maintain a reasonable standard of behaviour and language on the premises and must abide by our library policies including our Timaru District Libraries Terms and Conditions and our Internet Usage Policy. If such conditions are not met, library staff reserve the right to ask patrons to leave.
- Guarantors/caregivers are responsible for the supervision of children in our libraries.
- All borrowed items are to be returned in good condition (if an accident occurs please talk to us, do not attempt to mend it yourself) to any of our three libraries.
- Your details need to be updated every two years to keep your library card and digital access working. Your membership may be cancelled if your card has not been used in more than two years.
- Please notify the Library immediately of any change of address, email address, or telephone number, or if your card has been lost or stolen. There is a $5.00 charge for a replacement library card.
- If you do not qualify for free membership to Timaru District Libraries you can pay an annual $60 subscription fee to join.
- After one week in the Timaru District visitors can join the Library on a temporary basis (by paying a non-refundable $20 fee). Proof of identity and a verified mailing address for within the Timaru District must be supplied at the time of registration. Restricted borrowing rights will apply. After six months within the Timaru District you may apply for full membership.
- The information about you is being collected by Timaru District Libraries, a unit of the Timaru District Council. The information is not required by law. However, it is necessary if you wish to become a member of the library and borrow material.
- By applying for membership, you agree to your personal information being used by the library to manage your library account details, as well as for statistical purposes.
- If you are under 18 years of age, your personal information can be used to contact your guarantor, parent or guardian to discuss any matters which may arise from your library membership.
- Your personal information will only be shared outside of the library when required for debt collection, statistical purposes or as required by law.
- By submitting a membership application, you are agreeing to library staff being able to contact you by post, email and telephone, including leaving automated telephone messages. Please note, Timaru District Council will not be liable for any other person being able to access any of these messages, and also takes no responsibility for email or postal notices sent but not received or read.