Timaru District Libraries Terms and Conditions
The following rules apply specifically to the Timaru District Libraries in terms of Timaru District Bylaw 2018 Chapter 8, and are additional to the General Rules adopted for all Council-managed Cultural & Recreational Facilities.
How to join:
- Membership of the Timaru District Libraries is free to all residents and ratepayers of the Timaru District. Those not qualifying for free membership can join for a fee.
- It’s easy to join, first you need to register online at https://library.timaru.govt.nz/home and click on Join the Library.
- Fill out your details. Be ready to supply a name, address and phone number for an alternative contact person – someone who knows you but lives at a different address (and if it’s for a child/teenager under 18 years of age, you will also need to fill out the Parent/Guarantor details as well).
- Completed online applications will generate a temporary membership number. Within two weeks you will need to bring this number in to your local library to receive your permanent library card so you can borrow items. The person named on the application is the only person who can collect the new card.
- All children or teenage applicants under 18 years of age will need a parent/caregiver listed as their guarantor who must supply their contact details and accompany the applicants when collecting their permanent card from the library.
- For those only wanting access to our online content (eBooks, eAudiobooks, databases etc) when registering online select ‘Digital Only Membership’. Once completed, this will give you instant access for 12 months to our online content without needing to visit the library or get a card.
- Please bring your library card on each visit.
- Items are issued for four weeks (except for Magazines and DVDs which are issued for 2 weeks) and may be renewed provided there are no holds on them. There is no limit to the number of items you can borrow with the exception of some limitations in the Children's Library and for Temporary Memberships.
- You can check items on loan, renew items or place holds via the Library Catalogue online or on the Timaru District Libraries App (you will need your password for these options), or you can call in/phone your Library, or contact us via email.
- Email or text reminders can be set up to alert borrowers when items are due to be returned/ renewed.
Conditions of Use
- Borrowers/guarantors are responsible for all materials borrowed on a library card - please do not lend your library card to other people. They are also responsible for any charges incurred through the damage or loss of an item, any hold or debt collection fees.
- Items can no longer be borrowed if charges on an account total $10 or more.
- You can see a complete list of all library charges and fees on our website.
- Library users need to maintain a reasonable standard of behaviour and language on the premises and must abide by our library policies including our Timaru District Libraries Terms and Conditions and our Internet Usage Policy. If such conditions are not met, library staff can ask patrons to leave.
- Guarantors/caregivers are responsible for the supervision of children in our libraries.
- All borrowed items are to be returned in good condition (if an accident occurs please talk to us, do not attempt to mend it) to any of our three libraries.
- We need to update your details every two years to keep your library card and digital access working. Your membership may be cancelled if your card has not been used in more than two years.
- Please notify the Library immediately of any change of address, email address, or telephone number, or if your card has been lost or stolen.
- If you do not qualify for free membership to Timaru District Libraries you can pay an annual $60 subscription fee to join.
- After one week in the Timaru District visitors can join the Library on a temporary basis (by paying a non-refundable $20 fee). A mailing address for within the Timaru District needs to be supplied at the time of registration. Restricted borrowing rights will apply. After six months within the Timaru District you may apply for full membership.
- You can find our full Privacy Statement on the toolbar at the bottom of our website homepage.
- The information about you is being collected by Timaru District Libraries, a unit of the Timaru District Council. By applying for membership, you agree to supplying your personal information which will be used by the library to manage your library account details, as well as for statistical purposes.
- If you are under 18 years of age, your personal information can be used to contact your guarantor, parent or guardian to discuss any matters which may arise from your library membership.
- We would not release your personal information to a third party except where required to, or permitted to, by law, or for the purpose of recording/maintaining your transactional history through our Library Management System and Self Check/Returns Kiosks, or where you have authorised us to do so or where disclosure is connected to the purpose for which the information was collected. Our website contains links to other websites operated by third parties. We take no responsibility for the privacy practices of these third parties. You should consult the privacy policies of each linked website to determine the policy each third party adheres to.
- By submitting a membership application, you are agreeing to library staff being able to contact you by post, email and telephone, including leaving automated telephone messages. Please note, Timaru District Council will not be liable for any other person being able to access any of these messages, and also takes no responsibility for email or postal notices sent but not received or read.